A beloved Southern staple—grits—is hitting mainstream America with the promise to tease our palates, introduce healthy, whole grains into our diets and be kind to our wallets. Flavorful, soothing and packing a healthy punch, grits are defying stereotypes and appearing on the menus of some of the nation's trendiest restaurants and in homes everywhere. Glorious Grits: America's Favorite Comfort Food demonstrates that grits, along with cornmeal and polenta, are ideal for every meal.
Glorious Grits boasts insightful narrative by author, nutritionist and lifelong Southerner Susan McEwen McIntosh, whose knowledge of grits is homegrown—her brother owns and operates the well-respected gristmill McEwen & Sons.
Other key elements of Glorious Grits include:
- 100+ recipes for yellow, white and blue grits, cornmeal and polenta featuring fresh ingredients, step-by-step instructions and variations
- Contributions from renowned Southern chefs including Frank Stitt, Highlands Bar & Grill (Birmingham, Ala.); Mark Hibbs, Ratcliffe on the Green (Charlotte, N.C.); Chris Hastings, Hot and Hot Fish Club (Birmingham, Ala.); and Clif Holt, Little Savannah (Birmingham, Ala.)
- Chapters for Breakfast, Appetizers & Snacks, Breads, Main Dishes, Side Dishes and Desserts
- Foreword and recipes by award-winning chef John Besh from New Orleans
- Grits, Polenta & Cornmeal 101: An informative introduction to the grains—what they are, how to cook them and how to maximize their nutritional value
- 50+ full-color, mouthwatering photos
- A Grits Trail map of gristmills—including McEwen & Sons—that offer online grits sales
- Updates on time-honored, beloved grits recipes such as Breakfast Grits and Sausage Casserole and Apple-and-Walnut Grits, as well as surprising and creative concoctions including Grits Jambalaya and Cranberry-Port Sauce over Cornmeal Pound Cake